DAEJEON, May 11 (Korea Bizwire) — Former President Moon Jae-in was sued by civic groups opposing the government’s policy of phasing out nuclear power plants the day he left office.
Some 2,600 people and civic groups submitted a bill of indictment to the Daejeon District Prosecutor’s Office on Tuesday, calling for an investigation into the former president’s abuse of power.
“President Moon knew that fulfilling his post-nuclear policy would require amending relevant legislation, securing funding and changing the basic energy plan as reviewed by the energy committee,” said Kang Chang-ho, a member of the Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power Corp.’s labor union.
“However, he abused his power to force the early shutdown of the Wolsong-1 reactor and to wipe out all plans for building new reactors in order to fulfill his presidential vows.”
Chae Hee-bong, former former presidential secretary for industrial policy, has already been indicted by the Daejeon District Prosecutor’s Office for abuse of power.
Accusations against Chae, too, reportedly began with the former president asking him about the plans to ‘permanently shut down Wolsong-1 reactor’.
Previously, the prosecutor’s office stipulated in bills of indictment against Chae and former Industry Minister Paik Un-gyu that the president had asked these questions.
Civic groups said that the post-nuclear policy has dragged down state-run energy firm KEPCO’s share price from 60,000 won to 20,000 won.
They also argued that the policy has also led to spiking electricity costs, taking a toll on citizens and called upon the president to take responsibility for devastating the nuclear industry.
M. H. Lee (firstname.lastname@example.org)