Hyundai, Kia Enjoy Record-High Sales in India | Be Korea-savvy

Hyundai, Kia Enjoy Record-High Sales in India

The Hyundai Creta SUV (Photo courtesy of Hyundai Motor Co.)

The Hyundai Creta SUV (Photo courtesy of Hyundai Motor Co.)

SEOUL, Feb. 15 (Korea Bizwire)Hyundai Motor Co. and its affiliate Kia Corp. enjoyed record-high sales in the Indian market last month backed by robust SUV sales, data showed Tuesday.

According to the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers and Hyundai Motor Group, Hyundai and Kia sold 50,106 units and 28,634 vehicles, respectively, last month in the Indian market, up 13.8 percent and 48.2 percent year on year.

Their combined sales there reached 78,740 units, up 24.3 percent from a year ago, surpassing the previous monthly record set in October 2020.

Hyundai grabbed a share of 14.4 percent and Kia recorded an 8.2 percent share, with their combined market share estimated at 22.6 percent, up 1.5 percentage points from a year earlier.

In the brand sales ranking, Hyundai was positioned at No. 2 and Kia at No. 5.

Hyundai sold 15,037 units of its Creta compact SUV, a flagship model for the Indian market, up 52.4 percent year on year, ranking No. 1 among the models sold by the two Korean carmakers.

“The local plant introduced a three-shift work system last year, thus ensuring smooth supply,” Hyundai Motor Group said.

J. S. Shin (

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>