SEOUL, May 23 (Korea Bizwire) – South Korea’s defense ministry said Monday it has responded to North Korea’s latest offer for military talks by saying that the North’s denuclearization steps should be a top priority.
The government said it sent its reply to Pyongyang earlier in the day as North Korea on Saturday proposed holding a working-level meeting with South Korea in late May or early June in preparation for military talks. Seoul has rejected it as a proposal without sincerity.
“We expressed regret that North Korea had proposed to hold military talks without any mentions over its nuclear problem,” Moon Sang-gyun, ministry spokesman, told a regular press briefing. “We will firmly keep the stance that the North’s denuclearization step should be a top priority when it comes to dialogue with Pyongyang.”