SEOUL, May 25 (Korea Bizwire) – South Korea’s Air Force website has been experiencing problems for 13 days due to an unidentified hacking attack, local officials said Wednesday.
An official said the Air Force suspended its website operations from the early morning of May 12 when malicious code was found in it.
The Air Force is currently operating a temporary website to provide public services such as information on conscription and other notices that affect the public.
The armed forces branch and the military’s Cyber Warfare Command are conducting an investigation into how the site was hacked and whether there is any leak of classified information.
According to the official, there has been no damage reported from the hack so far, saying the outflow of military information is impossible as the Air Force’s website is separate from internal networks.
Another official said initial probes showed that the possibility of a North Korean attack is low.
He said that there has been a rise in hacking attempts targeting the South Korean military and military-related organizations.
On May 12, South Korea’s military opened an investigation into alleged North Korean hacking attempts carried out on local defense suppliers after learning that unknown emails were sent to several of these companies and arms-trading agencies.
In April, Hanjin Heavy Industries & Construction Co., a key South Korean builder of naval warships, was hacked, which led the military to conduct an investigation into whether any military secrets were leaked and whether North Korea was involved.