SEOUL, Aug. 14 (Korea Bizwire) — A recent report has revealed that construction companies are failing to meet a government recommendation saying construction workers should be provided with enough water, shade, and breaks to avoid health problems caused by the scorching summer heat.
According to the Korean Confederation of Trade Unions (KCTU) survey, 14.8 percent of the 382 workers surveyed said they were unable to get cold water at the construction site during the hot summer months.
The survey also found out that within three minutes of the work site, water dispensers or icemakers were a rare sight.
About 20 percent of the workers answered that there was no shower room available and a bit more than 48 percent said even though there was, the facilities were so basic that it was hard for them to wash properly.
Only 26.5 percent of the respondents were able to take a break in the shade to avoid the heat, while the remaining 73.5 percent reportedly took breaks “anywhere”.
Although the Ministry of Labor Affairs recommends that workers should stop working from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., the hottest time, if the temperature is above 35℃, except in emergency situations, 78 percent of the workers surveyed said they kept working.
Not surprisingly, many workers complained of poor health. About 56 percent of the workers answered that they or their colleagues had gotten sick during the summer.
The KCTU raised their voices saying the government recommendations are not proving to be effective in protect workers from the heat, and that additional measures were needed.
D. M. Park (firstname.lastname@example.org)