‘Pet Fires’ a Growing Concern in Seoul | Be Korea-savvy

‘Pet Fires’ a Growing Concern in Seoul


SEOUL, Dec. 5 (Korea Bizwire)The Seoul Metropolitan Government is warning residents to keep pets away from electric stovetops as the number of fires caused by pets are increasing in number.

The Seoul Metropolitan Fire and Disaster Headquarters reported that the number of fire accidents in Seoul caused by pets increased from eight cases in 2016 to 31 cases this year.


Most accidents involved cats inadvertently turning on an electric range, causing nearby objects such as tableware and paper towels to catch on fire.

“Make sure to unplug electric stovetops when they are not in use. Installing safety devices near the power switch may also be a solution,” said the fire agency.

Image Credit: Gwangju Nambu Fire Station / Daegu Bukbu Fire Station / photonews@koreabizwire.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>