SEOUL, June 17 (Korea Bizwire) – North Korea said Friday that South Korean President Park Geun-hye should respond to its offer for dialogue, adding Pyongyang will seek other partners if Seoul continues to rejects its talks offer.
According to the North’s official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), Pyongyang’s Council for National Reconciliation (CNR) said there are “plenty of partners” that the communist country can find if South Korean continues to decline its calls for talks.
North Korea has been making dialogue overtures since last month, in an apparent bid to utilize the talks to weaken international resolve to punish it for conducting a fourth nuclear test in January and launching a long range missile the following month.
So far Seoul has dismissed the calls for bilateral military talks as lacking sincerity, and urged the North to first declare its intent to give up its nuclear program.
“The announcement by the CNR reflects North Korea’s intention to expand talks with the international community while excluding the South Korean government,” a North Korean expert said, adding Pyongyang may even be tempted to undertake a small-scale provocation to advance its demands.
The latest report coming out of Pyongyang added its development of nuclear weapons is vital for its sovereignty and dignity.
North Korea has stressed on numerous occasions that it will never give up its nukes and even made clear its plans to expand its nuclear capabilities and develop missiles that can reach the United States.