SEOUL, July 1 (Korea Bizwire) – South Korea’s antiterrorism center under the Prime Minister’s Office on Friday drew up a detailed plan on tackling possible terrorist attacks in the country, amid rising concerns that international radical groups may target Asia’s fourth-largest economy as well.
Under the plan, the country will make a four-step alert system depending on the circumstances, while designating an “antiterrorism squad” composed of special forces under the military, police, and the Ministry of Public Safety and Security.
“There is a possibility that North Korea will abduct our citizens overseas, or conduct attacks by hiring international terrorism organizations,” Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn said. “All related organizations must make efforts to have no blind spots when it comes to preventing terrorism.”
Hwang added that South Korea should not miss any information on terrorism threats, and operate the alert system at all times.
The government has been speeding up its efforts to bolster antiterrorism capabilities, especially as the National Intelligence Service revealed last month that the Islamic State jihadist group had designated some U.S. military installations here and a South Korean citizen as targets.
Hwang said his office will put the top priority on preventing any terrorist attacks, while also being cautious not to infringe on any human rights when rolling out antiterrorism policies.
South Korea kicked off the antiterrorism center on June 4, which operates around-the-clock to increase surveillance for any potential provocations.