SEOUL, Aug. 17 (Korea Bizwire) – Kangin, member of K-pop boy band Super Junior standing trial over causing a traffic accident while under the influence of alcohol, pleaded for leniency at a local court Wednesday, saying he deeply regrets his actions.
The Seoul Central District Court opened the trial as the 31-year-old allegedly fled the scene after crashing into a street lamp in southern Seoul in May.
“As a person well-known by the public, I should have been more careful,” he said during the trial. “I will make sure it does not happen again.”
The singer’s legal representative also pleaded for a light sentence, asking the court to take into consideration that no one was hurt and the only damage caused by the mishap was to the lamp.
Earlier in July, prosecutors summarily indicted Kangin, but the court decided to open a trial, saying there is a need to carefully review the case. A summary indictment does not require a formal trial.
Prosecutors sought 7 million won (US$6,000) in fines.
Kangin already has a record of drunk driving in 2009.
The K-pop singer only recently started appearing on TV shows after avoiding the spotlight for years as a sign of exercising self-restraint in the wake of his previous drunk driving incident.
Following Kangin’s second accident in May, his agency S.M. Entertainment released a statement and said he will be suspended from all activities as a singer and entertainer.
The sentencing trial is slated for Sept. 7.