SEOUL, July 1 (Korea Bizwire) — The act of obstructing charging activities for electric vehicles will be punishable by fines in all 25 districts in Seoul starting in August.
The Seoul Metropolitan Government said Thursday that the number of districts penalizing the obstruction of EV charging activities will increase from the current 12 to 19 in July and all 25 districts by August.
The act will be punished by fines of up to 200,000 won (US$154).
Fines for obstructing EV charging stations had been limited to certain facilities until legislation on eco-friendly vehicles was amended this January, expanding the punishment to cover all facilities with electric charging stations.
The number of violations grew every month, from 94 cases to 1,600 cases before and after the legislation was amended.
At 76 percent, the majority of all violations involved combustion engine vehicles parking in front of charging stations and the remaining 24 percent dealt with EVs parked longer than necessary in front of the charging stations and other cases of obstruction.
Image Credit: Yonhap / firstname.lastname@example.org