SEOUL, May 19 (Korea Bizwire) – South Korea is expected to recall more than 1 million vehicles in 2017 as motorists become more safety-conscious amid the sophistication of auto parts and technology, officials said Thursday.
In the year to date, the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport has ordered some 100 recalls affecting 820,000 vehicles, with the full-year number likely to far exceed the 1 million mark.
It will mark the first time in two years for the number of recalled vehicles to top the 1 million level. The figure reached 1.03 million units in 2013 and 2015, respectively.
Last year, the ministry ordered domestic and foreign carmakers to recall a combined 620,000 units.
In the biggest case this year, the ministry ordered South Korea’s top automaker Hyundai Motor Co. and its smaller sister company Kia Motors Corp. last week to recall a combined 240,000 vehicles for faulty parts. The ministry issued the order after reviewing five cases of suspected faulty parts in 12 models made by the two carmakers.
“The number of recalled vehicles has generally increased compared to the past, although the full-year figure depends on big recall cases,” a ministry official said.
Domestic motorists have become more sensitive to the safety of their cars, and the more sophisticated level of auto technology and components has led to increased reasons for recalls, he added.
In order to reduce recalls, experts urge automakers to be more cautious from design to production and take pre-emptive action against possible defects.