GEOJE, SOUTH KOREA, May 4 (Korea Bizwire) – Many of the victims who were injured or killed during the crane accident which occurred at the Geoje Shipyard last Monday were subcontractors, according to Samsung Heavy Industries.
Speaking to Yonhap News Agency earlier this week, the company revealed that most of the casualties were subcontractors, including the six workers who died after a crane collapsed in the early afternoon, resulting in over 20 casualties.
“Among those who were injured, most of them are thought to be subcontractors from a number of companies,” an official at Samsung Heavy Industries said. As May 1st is Labour Day in South Korea, the vast majority of Samsung Heavy Industries employees were taking time off work.
In the face of growing questions over the scale of the accident, the shipbuilding giant said casualties were high because most subcontractors, who were brought in to keep up with the scheduled workload, were taking a break at the same spot when the crane accident occurred, leaving six people dead and 22 people injured.
Geoje mayor Gwon Min-ho said, “It broke my heart when I heard hard-working people succumbed to an accident on the job.
“As this tragedy happened while the South Korean shipbuilding industry is going through a tough time, we as a city will help the victims and their family members as much as possible,” the mayor added.