SEOUL, Sept. 27 (Korea Bizwire) — The Seoul Metropolitan Government said Monday it will open up the country’s first protective facility for stalking victims next month.
The city will remodel three protective facilities originally intended for victims of domestic violence to accommodate stalking victims (two for women, one for men). The facilities will be able to accommodate up to 10 women and four men.
The facilities are designed to protect the victims from the risk of break-ins or other forms of assault by the perpetrator. The city also plans to provide counseling programs to help the victims return to normal life.
Male victims, in particular, were previously sent to facilities for the homeless, since there were no other facilities available, the city government explained.
Stalking victims staying at the facilities will be able to remain in a safe, secure location as they freely go about their everyday lives, including the use of cell phones.
Previously, stalking victims had to share space with victims of domestic violence and their children, leading to a number of inconveniences.
“There were limitations on the use of cellphones back then and that’s why stalking victims were reluctant to use the facilities,” the city government said.
Lina Jang (email@example.com)